|DesiClub's Top 25 Bollywood Sex Symbols of All Time: The Women
|Just like we do every month by giving you the hottest and most exclusive content on the WWW, we present to you this gem on Bollywood's hottest starlets.
Mumbai (formerly Bombay) is the heart of the world's largest film industry, Bollywood. The South Asian answer to Hollywood cranks out larger than life legends, setting the silver screen on fire with their sex appeal. Bollywood's sex symbols have been creating steam across India and worldwide for about five decades and their sex appeal isn't all about showing cleavage or great butts. As we all know there is more to sex appeal than the physical attributes one has. This list consists of the female icons of Bollywood, who have impacted the history and changed the future of Bollywood. Ladies and Gentlemen, DesiClub brings you our top 25 Bollywood Sex Symbols of all time: Bollywood Beauties. Sit back and enjoy, because it's going to be a hot one!
25. Suchitra Sen: Patna born Roma (April 6, 1931), better known as Suchitra Sen, began her career in Kolkata with Bengali films before heading into Bollywood. Known for her mesmerizing beauty, she remained one of Bollywood's leading ladies for a twenty year span. Her first Hindi film was Bimal Roy's "Devdas" (1955), as Paro, (redone by Aishwarya Rai in 2002), alongside Dilip Kumar and Vyjayantimala. Throughout her career, she chose roles reflecting archetypical tragic Indian heroines, suffering for love. She's acted in critically acclaimed films "Mamta" (1966) and "Aandhi" (1975), which still stand the test of time. In "Aandhi", Suchitra depicted a powerful politician, who's marriage ended because her husband (actor Sanjeev Kumar) opposed her career. The film was banned for a small period, because it mirrored the life of former Indian Prime Minister, Indira Gandhi.
Why She's Sexy: Suchitra is sexy because she emotes several emotions within each screen shot without uttering a word. Women copied her hair style, clothes and the way she carried herself throughout India. According to an "India Daily" magazine pole of the "Top three legendary beauties of Bollywood", Suchitra Sen placed within the top three.
Her Impact on Bollywood: Many of her Bengali films where redone in Hindi, acted out by Jaya Bhaduri and Waheeda Rehman.
Interesting Fact: She shares the same facial features as Bollywood Diva Madhuri Dixit, if you compare their pictures, you can see for yourself.
24. Jaya Bhaduri: Kolkata born Jaya Bhaduri (April 9, 1948) is the daughter of famous Bengali writer, Tarun Bhaduri. Her filmography consists of classic Bollywood films, which she's won numerous Filmfare awards for outstanding performances. She married mega star Amitabh Bachchan on June 3, 1973 and often shared the screen with him. Jaya's career is based on her natural acting ability, not on dancing, which is quite an achievement considering the industry is filled with dance queens.
Why She's Sexy: Jaya is sexy because she represents a non-glamorous version of Bollywood. She emotes quiet strength and sophistication, giving her a strong screen presence. One of her most memorable screen moments is in the cult classic "Sholay" (1975), as Radha. She and Jai (Amitabh) share amazing on screen chemistry while she watches him play the harmonica as she turns out lamps. This scene is filled with intensity, which is what she is most known for.
Her Impact on Bollywood: Jaya's career as a lead actress continues long after her marriage to Amitabh Bachchan. She's been recognized countless times for her work and has produced several television shows.
Interesting Fact: Here's a quote from Jaya when asked about acting alongside her husband: "I will not play second fiddle to him. I never have. Not in reel life and never in real life." Jaya is second fiddle to no one, which is why she continues her amazing acting career.
23. Mumtaz: Mumbai born Mumtaz (July 31, 1947) is known for oozing oomph. She is a Bollywood Diva because she dances, pouts, looks ultra sexy and speaks Hindi fluently. She started out doing supporting roles, which slowly progressed her towards being one of Bollywood's leading ladies. In a span of six months, she acted alongside romance king Rajesh Khanna in "Do Raaste" (1969), "Bandhan", (1969) "Sachcha Jhoothaa" (1969), which were all super hits. In 1970 she won her first Filmfare Award in "Khilona", with Sanjeev Kumar, giving her long awaited acting creditability.
Why She's Sexy: Mumtaz is sexy for her signature skin tight salwar-kameez' and her navel baring sarees. She oozes sex appeal, especially when she dances. She set the trend for current actresses who are told to dance like her. Her trademark song "Bindiya Chamkegi" in Do Raaste (1969), is remixed by numerous DJs and is currently recreated by Gunjan.
Her Impact on Bollywood: In 1996, Mumtaz won Filmfare's Lifetime Achievement Award for her impact on Bollywood's film industry.
Interesting Fact: She's acted in over one hundred films in a span of twelve years, which equals to nearly 44 films per year!
22. Vyjayantimala: Chennai born Vyjayantimala (August 13, 1936) was the first South Indian actress to dominate Bollywood's film industry and she did it for a span of twenty years. Because of her, aspiring Bollywood actresses are required to become accomplished dancers. Trained in Classical Indian dance, she brought a sense of class to Bollywood's song and dance numbers. Her 1954 mega hit "Nagin" had eight jaw dropping solo dance sequences, which she performed in one take. Aside from being a legendary dancer, she's won numerous Filmfare Awards throughout her lengthy career.
Why She's Sexy: Vyjayantimala is sexy because she ignites the screen with classically trained dance moves and her facial expressions. Her training in Manipuri dance shows even in spoken scenes because it is known as India's most expressive dance style. As a viewer, you feel every emotion she emanates.
Her Impact on Bollywood: She's a role model for many South Indian actresses like Hema Malini and Aishwarya Rai, who went on to dominate Bollywood's film industry.
Interesting Fact: In Bimal Roy's "Devdas", Vyjayantimala won the Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actress as Chandramukhi, which Madhuri Dixit played in 2002. She refused the award and demanded the Filmfare committee only consider her in the Best Actress category and not as a Supporting Actress. Ever since, she was always nominated for the Best Actress Award and nothing less.
21. Karisma Kapoor: Mumbai born Karisma (June 25, 1975) comes from Bollywood royalty, she's the great granddaughter of actor Prithvi Raj Kapoor and Raj Kapoor's grand daughter. Lolo (called by her friends and family), is the first woman from the Kapoor clan to enter the film industry. Her parents Babita and Randir Kapoor were also famous Bollywood actors. Acting is in her blood stream but her film career took off with a rocky start in "Prem Qaidi" (1991). She was criticized for working with Govinda and for her masculine looks. After five long years, she became a genuine sex symbol in "Raja Hindustani" (1996), with the help of Bollywood fashion guru Manish Malhotra, who gave her an extreme make over. He gave her brown lenses, straightened and colored her hair and gave her softer makeup. Her new look gave her the confidence and the creditability as a Bollywood starlet, going on to win countless Filmfare Awards.
Why She's Sexy: Karisma is sexy because of her signature song "Sexy, Sexy, Sexy, Mujhe Log Bolain" from Khuddar (1994), if you've seen that you'll get the point.
Her Impact on Bollywood: She inspired younger sister Kareena to enter the film industry. After all, it is the family business.
Interesting Fact: Karisma dated Ajay Devgan, which is why she and Kajol had differences.
20. Shilpa Shetty: From Tamil Nadu, Shilpa Shetty (June 8, 1975) journeyed to Mumbai, in hopes of a successful acting career in a predominately Punjabi dominated industry. Her big break was "Baazigar" (1993), with new comers Shah Rukh Khan and Kajol. In the film, she was thrown off a building in the first hour. Her character may have died, but it did not kill her acting career. She is going on twelve years strong now. Before entering the film industry, she spent six years as a Bharat Natyam dancer, which explains her amazing dance moves.
Why She's Sexy: She is sexy because she's 5'10", an ex-model and has an amazing body, which most women spend hours at the gym to obtain. She is also hotter than most South Indian food!
Her Impact on Bollywood: She proved herself as an actress and held her own alongside some of Bollywood's major players.
Interesting Fact: She has a younger sister named Sharmita, also an actress, who she still fights with if she tries to borrow her clothes.
19. Kareena Kapoor: Mumbai born Kareena Kapoor (September 21, 1980), (aka Bebo) is Karisma Kapoor's younger sister. Her debut film "Refugee" (2000), with Abhishek Bachchan gave her a promising start as an actress. Her debut gave her creditability because she didn't portray a diva, instead she played a 17 year old Pakistani girl who wore traditional clothes. Her major films are "Asoka" (2001) with Shah Rukh Khan, "Ajnabee" (2001) with Bipasha Basu, Bobby Deol and Akshay Kumar and "Chameli" with Rahul Bose (2003). Recently, Kareena starred in 2004's sleeper hit "Hulchul", with Akshaye Khanna. In "Bewafa", (2005) she gives an amazing performance as the role of a younger sister, who agrees to marry her dead sister's husband, when her ex-boyfriend reenters her life and wants her back.
Why She's Sexy: She is sexy because she is 5'5", with Hazel eyes and has access to the Manish Malhotra makeover. She also shared an on-screen kiss with her current boyfriend Shaheed Kapoor, rivaling her sister's on-screen kiss with Aamir Khan in "Raja Hindustani" (1996).
Her Impact on Bollywood: She's growing as an actress by choosing the right films and critics are noticing her. She's a huge fan of Sridevi and hopes to mirror her acting style. She also uses her acting talent to inspire young girls to be like her.
Interesting Fact: India's censor board delayed the release of "Khushi" (2003), because of its numerous scenes showing Kareena's navel and stomach.
18. Preity Zinta: Simla born, Preity Zinta (January 31, 1974) grew up surrounded by the breathtaking Himalayan mountain range. She debuted in "Dil Se" (1998), and stole the limelight from Manisha Koirala with the song "Jiya Jale." She has a degree in psychology and writes a column for the BBC. She constantly shines on the silver screen, choosing meaningful roles.
Why She's Sexy: She is sexy because of her famous dimples and her twinkling eyes. With a name like Preity, you'd have to be pretty and she is.
Her Impact on Bollywood: She is known for speaking her mind and being true to herself. This is a welcome change from a lot of actresses who are phony.
Interesting Fact: She started out as an ad model for Lyril and Perks soap. No wonder she's known for being bubbly.
17. Sushmita Sen: Hyderabad born Sushmita Sen (November 19, 1974) grew up in Delhi and won the title of Miss Universe in 1994. Not only is she one of the most beautiful women in the Universe, she's the first Indian title holder. Soon after winning, Sushmita entered Bollywood with her debut film "Dastak" (1996), opening to mediocre reviews. Like many actresses before her, Sushmita's career came off to a rocky start. Bollywood critics nearly wrote her off as being just another pretty face and constantly compared her to Aishwarya Rai, who won the Miss World title the year before. She eventually proved herself as one of Bollywood's leading ladies in David Dhawan's "Biwi No. 1" (1999) with Salman Khan, "Sirf Tum" (1999) with Sanjay Kapoor, "Filhaal" with Tabbu (2002), "Main Hon Na" with Shah Rukh Khan (2004) and "Samay" with Sushant Singh (2004), "Bewafa" with Anil Kapoor (2005) and "Main Aisa Hi Hoon" with Ajay Devgan (2005).
Why She's Sexy: She is sexy because Sushmita, the Bengali bombshell, challenges traditional wisdom about beauty being only for those who are fair skinned. Standing at 5'10", she towers over most of her male co-stars.
Her Impact on Bollywood: She brought back the trend of having Bengali leading ladies on the silver screen.
Interesting Fact: Sushmita Sen has an adopted daughter named Renee, and has a degree in English Literature.
16. Kajol: Mumbai born Kajol Mukherjee Devgan (August 5, 1975), comes from a long line of Bollywood's leading ladies. She's a fourth generation actress; her mom is 60's sweetheart Tanuja (Rules: Pyaar Ka Super hit Formula, 2003), her maternal aunt is actress Nutan (Milan, 1967), and her grandmother Shobna Samarth was also a popular actress in her time. Apart from her impressive maternal lineage, her father Somu Mukherjee is a famous producer. Her debut "Bekhudi" (1992), gave a promising start to her career. She reigned at the box office for nearly a decade until her marriage to Ajay Devgan in 1999, and hasn't appeared in a film since "Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham" (2002).
Why She's Sexy: Kajol is sexy because she has a raw unpolished beauty different from the 90s glamour girls, Raveena Tandon and Manisha, who also entered the industry at the same time. She exemplifies a devastating combination of innocence and sensuality, which makes her a total babe.
Her Impact on Bollywood: She's had a string of hits, which catapulted her to dizzying heights with King Khan, Shah Rukh in "Baazigar" (1993), "Karan Arjun" (1995), "Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge" (1995), "Kuch Kuch Hota Hai" (1998), and "Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham" (2002). Each mega hit encouraged audiences in India and abroad to flock to movie theaters.
Interesting Fact: She is best known for her role as Simran, who's personality is different from hers. Unlike Simran, Kajol could never agree to marry someone she's never met, which is why she found it natural to marry co-star Ajay Devgan. She has a daughter named Nysa and is currently gearing up to re-enter the industry.
15. Rani Mukherjee: Kolkata born Rani Mukherjee (March 21, 1978) comes from famous family like the Kapoor's. She's the daughter of director Ram Mukherjee and she is Kajol's cousin and also related to Kishore Kumar. Her first Bollywood break was in "Ghulam" (1998) with Aamir Khan. In "Ghulam", she received critical acclaim and created competition for cousin Kajol. They acted in Karan Johar's "Kuch Kuch Hota Hai" (1998) with Shah Rukh Khan, and she won the Filmfare Award for Best Newcomer. Her role in the film was small but her performance made an impact, which is consistent throughout her career.
Why She's Sexy: Rani is sexy because of her trademark husky voice. She's also known for her green eyes and her captivating smile, stealing the hearts of Bollywood moviegoers.
Her Impact on Bollywood: She's a gifted actress and has held her own with Bollywood heavy-duties, Shah Rukh Khan and Amitabh Bachchan and is constantly stealing the limelight from Box office queens Preity Zinta, Kajol and Kareena Kapoor. Her most challenging role was in "Black" (2005), where she played a blind and deaf girl, modeled after Helen Keller. She is constantly receiving Filmfare Awards with her natural performances and is the current generation's answer to Jaya Bhaduri.
Interesting Fact: Rani Mukherjee replaced Twinkle in 'Kuch Kuch Hota Hai' (1998), Mahima in 'Hadh Kar Di Apne' (2000) and Pooja Bhatt in 'Ghulam' (1998). She also surprised ace choreographer/director Farah Khan with her dancing ability in "Kuch Kuch Hota Hai" in the song "Koi Mil Gaya," after everyone had doubts about her dancing ability. Rani Mukherjee is a trained Odissi dancer, a dance style originating from Orissa performed by Temple dancers.
14. Priyanka Chopra: Barely born Priyanka Chopra's (July 18, 1982) claim to fame is winging the Miss World beauty pageant in the new millennium. Before entering films, she thought about becoming a software engineer or a criminal psychologist. Instead of impacting India's IT sector, she's made her mark in Bollywood as one of the industry's most beautiful actresses.
Why She's Sexy: Priyanka is sexy because of her titles as Miss Femina India and Miss World. She's 5'8" and is being considered as a Bond girl and she's also sexy enough to fill Zeenat Aman's shoes in the "Don" remake.
Interesting Fact: Sushmita Sen is her role model, who is also a model turned actress.
13. Mallika Sherawat: Reema Lambha better known as Mallika Sherawat (October 24, 1976) grew up in Delhi. With only six films to her name, she's a sensation because of her dare to bare attitude in films. In her first staring role in "Khwahish" (2003), she shocked audiences with steamy kissing scenes and revealing outfits. In "Murder" (2004), she played a lonely married woman who had a steamy extra marital affair giving "Desperate Housewives", a run for their money. Currently, she is appearing with Rekha in "Bachke Rehna Re Baba" (2005) as a man eating Padmini and in real life, has a thing for older men, especially the 71 year old Dharmendra and 63 year old Amitabh Bachchan.
Why She's Sexy: Mallika is sexy because she's the first Bollywood actress approached by Playboy magazine to pose nude. She refused because it was against her morals. She was also asked to appear nude in "Murder" but backed out as well. She is known to people such as Howard Stern who asked her to "show it all" on his talk show, which shows you how much of a global sex symbol she is.
Her Impact on Bollywood: She is hitting mainstream Hollywood along side Jackie Chan in "The Myth" releasing this year. She does her own stunts, which is pretty amazing.
Interesting Fact: She's called the Pamela Anderson of India.
12. Shabana Azmi: Delhi born Shabana Azmi (September 18, 1950) had her first hit in 1974's "Ishq, Ishq, Ishq" with Dev Anand and Zeenat Aman, which was a great start to her acting career. She represents the parallel side of Bollywood because of her art house films, dealing with social issues like divorce, lesbianism and widowhood within India. She's a spokesperson for women's rights and is constantly making films with thought provoking messages.
Why She's Sexy: Shabana is sexy because she exudes class, charm and strength, which makes her captivating to watch.
Her Impact on Bollywood: She is considered the best Indian actress of her time. She also inspired noted lyricist and screen writer, Javed Aktar (who co-wrote "Sholay" and "Don") to write some of Bollywood's beautiful ballads.
Interesting Fact: In 2002, The Film Society of Lincoln Center did a film festival based on her works because she is a strong supporter of human rights.
11. Sharmila Tagore: Like Sushmita Sen, Sharmila Tagore is another Hyderabad born Bengali. Born on December 8, 1946, she comes from an impressive family background. Her great grandfather is Nobel Prize Winner, Rabindranath Tagore, she's married to Mansur Ali Khan Pataudi, Nawab of Pataudi, who is also a famous Indian Cricket Captain and her son is actor Saif Ali Khan. Like many Bengali actresses, she began her film career in Kolkata in Oscar winner Satyajit Ray's "Apur Sansar" (1959) as Aparna and "Devi" (1960) as the reincarnation of Hindu Goddess Kali. After gaining critical acclaim, she moved to Bollywood with "Kashmir Ki Kali" (1964) co-starring Shammi Kapoor. She effortlessly balanced both worlds of Indian art house cinema and Bollywood's commercial films.
Why She's Sexy: Sharmila is sexy because she was considered one of the most elegant actresses in Bollywood. Women during the 60's and 70's copied her butterfly knot saree blouses and accentuated eye make up. She created a buzz when posing for a magazine cover in a bikini in 1960's India. Her publicity shot had Hindu and Muslim fundamentalist groups protesting her because she brought women's sexuality to the forefront, demonstrating India's strong Western influence. Even now, Sharmila Tagore is a fashion icon, she's India's answer to Audrey Hepburn.
Her Impact on Bollywood: During her acting career she became a super sensation alongside Rajesh Khanna in classic films "Aradhana" (1969), "Safar" (1970) and "Amar Prem" (1971). Their on screen paring reigned supreme, which mirrors the same effect Kajol and Shah Rukh Khan had. Currently, she is Chairperson for the Central Board of Film Certification in India and is also working on a film.
Interesting Fact: Her marriage to Muslim Mansur Ali Khan created controversy because of her Hindu Brahman religious background. She was the first Bollywood actress to marry outside of her religion.
10. Sridevi: Shree Amma Yanger, better known as Sridevi was born on August 13, 1963 in Sivakasi, Tamilnadu, India. She started as a child actress in "Julie" (1975) at age 12. Her first Bollywood blockbuster was with Jeetendra in "Himmatwala" (1983). Together they acted in several films securing her position as the reigning Bollywood Queen for a full decade from 1983 to 1993. She was later dethroned by Madhuri Dixit. Also often paired with Anil Kapoor, the duo had smash hits "Jaanbaaz" (1986), "Mr. India" (1987), "Ram Avatar" (1988), "Lamhe" (1991) and "Judaai" (1997). She later married Anil Kapoor's brother in 1996, Boney Kapoor, after her mother passed away. Their marriage created a great deal of controversy because Boney Kapoor was married when he became involved with Sridevi and got her pregnant. After her wedding, she took a break from films and moved onto TV serials.
Why She's Sexy: Sridevi is sexy for her amazing dance numbers, that inflame the screen. Her dance sequences have the same effect of other South Indian Bollywood divas like Hema Malini and Vyjayantimala. She also capitalized on her innocent looks and glamorous style, which set many hearts on fire. She earned the nickname of Thunder Thighs because she wore short skirts during a lot of her dance numbers.
Her Impact on Bollywood: Shah Rukh Khan called her a living legend when appearing with her in "Army" (1996). She is also producing many of Boney Kapoor's films like "Shakti" (2002), making her mark behind the camera also.
Interesting Fact: There are many websites dedicated to Sridevi's dance numbers from "Lamhe" (1991), "Nagina" (1986) and "Chandni" (1989).
9. Bipasha Basu: Born on May 5, 1979 in Delhi and raised in Kolkata, Bipasha began her career as a model who was featured in various music videos. She also won the Famous Ford Supermodel contest. She became a household name in "Ajnabee" (2001) stealing the spotlight from Kareena Kapoor. She's currently dating the super sexy John Abraham and is starring in the sequel to "Dhoom."
Why She's Sexy: Her name says it all, Bipasha means deep dark desire, which is fitting since she's one of Bollywood's most desirable women.
Her Impact on Bollywood: After "Jism" (2003) released, Britain's Channel Four listed the movie's steamy scenes as one of the sexiest 100 scenes in World cinema.
Interesting Fact: When asked how she feels about being a sex symbol she replied, "I take it as a compliment when people label me a sex symbol. After all, it is my brand equity."
8. Aishwarya Rai: Born on November 1, 1973 in Mangalore India, Aishwarya started her career as a model and became the most beautiful woman in the world in 1994 with the Miss World title. Her first films flopped until she reached superstar status in "Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam" (1999), acting alongside Salman Khan, which set the backdrop for their turbulent off screen affair. After the success of "Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam", she filmed mega hits "Taal" (1999), "Mohabbatein" (2000), "Devdas" (2002) reprising the role of Paro, originally played by Suchitra Sen. She is currently making rounds promoting "Bride and Prejudice" (2005) within the North American talk show circuit.
Why She's Sexy: She is sexy because Hollywood Beauty Julia Roberts calls her the most beautiful woman in the world. In a poll conducted by Hello Magazine, she placed number one as the most attractive woman of 2003, beating Nicole Kidman, Catherine Zeta-Jones, and Gwyneth Paltrow. In April 2003, L'OREAL signed her as their international brand ambassador.
Her Impact on Bollywood: She's the first Bollywood star to appear in Rolling Stone Magazine in October 2, 2003. She is also listed in Time Magazine as one of the 100 most influential people in the world and has appeared on 60 Minutes, The Tonight Show, and the Oprah Winfrey Show, which has never been done before by a South Asian actress.
Interesting Fact: She has over 17,000 websites dedicated to her.
7. Rekha: Bhanurekha Ganesan better known as Rekha, was born on October 10, 1954 in Chennai. Known as Madame Re, she initially entered the Bollywood film industry in "Sawan Bhadon" (1970), where people dismissed her for being overweight and dark skinned. She refused to be written off and transformed herself into an ageless beauty. In 1973, she made history by acting with Amithabh Bachchan in "Namak Haram", which began their off screen love affair, making her the Big B's mistress. Together, they've acted in 13 blockbuster films in "Zameer" (1974), "Do Anjaane" (1974), "Alaap" (1977), "Maan Dharam" (1977), "Khoon Pasina" (1977), "Ganga Ki Saugandh" (1977), "Muquaddar Ka Sikander" (1977), "Mr. Natwarlal" (1979), "Suhaag" (1979), "Ram Balram" (1980), and "Silsila" (1983). On her own, she received critical acclaim for her performances in "Umrao Jaan" (1981) as Umrao, a woman who was forced into becoming a courtesan, based on an Urdu novel. In "Zubeidaa" (2000), she gave Karisma Kapoor's character Zubeidaa insecurities as her husband's controlling first wife.
Why She's Sexy: In Mira Nair's "Kama Sutra" (1997), Rekha played a former courtesan, educating women about the art of Kama Sutra. She suited that role, because throughout her career, she embodied true sex appeal. She's in total control of her image and is credited for doing her makeup for films and publicity shots. She is responsible for being a role model for Sridevi who also began her career as an ugly duckling.
Her Impact on Bollywood: She's become such an icon that her name appears in "American Desi" (2000) as Saleem's ultimate woman. She is a favorite among people who grew up watching Bollywood movies in the 70's and 80's.
Interesting Fact: The twice married Rekha has never had any children, but wanted a son like Hrithik Roshan. She got her wish in "Koi Mil Gaya" (2003) when she played his mother.
6. Hema Malini: Born on October 16, 1948 in Trichy, Tamil Nadu, Hema Malini Chakravarty is the most famous South Indian Bollywood actress of all time. Her first major hit was "Johnny Mera Naam" (1970) with Dev Anand and is currently appearing in films like "Veer Zara" (2005) 35 years after her debut. She's had mega hits like "Andaz" (1971), "Seeta aur Geeta" (1972), "Prem Nagar" (1974) and the cult classic "Sholay" (1975) playing chatterbox, Basanti. A trained classical dancer, Hema Malini dazzled audiences with her amazing dance numbers. After appearing in several films with Dharmendra, she began their off screen romance and was his second wife. They gave birth to actress Esha Deol.
Why She's Sexy: Hema Malini is sexy because she's Bollywood's Dream Girl and has goddess like beauty. She received marriage proposals from actors Sanjeev Kumar, Jeetendra and others until she married Dharmendra. Even in her 50's she can give current Bollywood actresses a run for their money.
Interesting Fact: In January 2005, Ram Kamal Mukherjee wrote the first ever book dedicated to Hema Malini titled "Hema Malini: Diva Unveiled." This book has 500 rare photographs and has a chapter dedicated to her infamous role as Basanti. This book is such an important piece of Bollywood history and it has a forward written by the Big B himself.
5. Helen: Born in Burma on October 21, 1939 Helen Richardson, currently known as Helen Khan (Salman Khan's stepmother), is the ultimate rags to riches story. She's an Anglo-Indian refugee from Burma, who as a child made a courageous trek to India with her mother to escape Burma's occupation during World War II. While in India, her mother's income as a nurse could not make ends meet so she quit school and entered Bollywood films as a backup dancer. She soon was recognized for her amazing dance talent and gained the title of Bollywood's Queen of Item numbers. Every film she danced in was a mega success. Helen also acted, playing the paradox to traditional looking Indian actresses because of her western looks. Some of her most memorable songs are "Mera Naam Chin Chin Choo" (Howdah Bridge, 1958) and "Suku, Suku" in "Junglee" (1961). With Asha Bhonsle's help, Helen became immortal in chart busters like "Piya Tu Ab To Aaja" (Caravan, 1971), "Oh Haseena Zulfonwali" (Teesri Manzil, 1966) "Aao Na Gale Lagao Na" (Mere Jeevan Saathi, 1972) and the sizzling dance number "Yeh Mera Dil Pyar Ka Diwana" (Don, 1978). She also appeared in "Sholay" with her classic dance number in "Mehbooba Mehbooba" as the seductive gypsy dancer.
Why She's Sexy: Helen is sexy because she wore revealing skin tight outfits while she danced and always wore flesh toned body suits, for modesty. She never came across as vulgar or crass and exuded sex appeal without compromising herself. Helen always stood out from other Bollywood icons because of her toned figure, especially since most actresses were more voluptuous. In her time, she was a true femme fatale and is considered the Marilyn Monroe of India.
Her Impact on Bollywood: In 1999, Helen won Filmfare's Lifetime Achievement Award for her impact on Bollywood cinema. Even now, current Bollywood actresses like Sonali Bendre and Aishwarya Rai are performing famous dance numbers immortalized by her films.
Interesting Fact: She's appeared in 500 films, either acting or dancing in them.
4. Madhuri Dixit: Born on May 15, 1967 in Mumbai, India, Madhuri is one of Bollywood's most influential actresses of all time. She took audiences by storm in "Tezaab" (1988) with her mind-blowing "Ek Do Teen" filled with Masala dance moves. She later moved onto Subhash Ghai"s "Raam Lakhan" (1989) as Radha, Anil Kapoor's on-screen love interest. She also starred in "Saajan" (1991) caught between a love triangle with Salman Khan and Sanjay Dutt, wowed audiences with her powerful performance in "Beta" (1992), created huge controversy with the song "Choli Ke Peeche" in "Khalnayak" (1993) and achieved record breaking status at the box office with "Hum Aapke Hain Kaun" (1994) with Salman Khan. In 2002, after retiring from film because of her marriage to Dr. Ram Nene, she made a huge comeback as Chandramukhi in "Devdas" previously acted by Vyjayantimala. She dethroned 80's and 90's starlet Sridevi and created the term Madhuri Mania because of her amazing acting and dancing abilities.
Why She's Sexy: When Madhuri entered Bollywood, no one had seen such beauty since the days of Suchitra Sen and Madhubala. She is a combination of both of these screen legends.
Her Impact on Bollywood: She's had a string of 15 super Bollywood hits and has a film called "Main Madhuri Dixit Banna Chahti Hoon" (2003) inspired by her and is known as the female Amithabh Bachchan because she was the highest paid actress of her time.
Interesting Fact: Madhuri's song in 'Khalnayak' (1993) "Choli Ke Peeche" was protested by 42 political parties because of it's literal translation.
3. Dimple Kapadia: Born on June 8, 1957 in Mumbai, Dimple at age 16 shocked audiences in "Bobby" (1973) with her micro minis and revealing outfits. She made a sensational debut with her ethereal beauty and her amazing acting talent. After "Bobby", she took a break from Bollywood in the late 70's and married romance king Rajesh Khanna, having daughters Twinkle and Rinke. After a bitter divorce she returned to Bollywood in "Saagar" (1985), with her "Bobby" co-star, Rishi Kapoor. In "Saagar", she came back with a vengeance with an award winning performance, pleasing everyone including herself, especially since she was afraid of how audiences would react to her as a leading actress after nearly a 10 year break.
Why She's Sexy: Dimple is sexy because she's the object of many men's fantasies. She is known for being one of the most beautiful women in Indian film. She's constantly pushing boundaries by shocking audiences in a tasteful way. She stunned viewers by briefly baring her breasts in "Saagar", which was the first glimpse of nudity in a mainstream Bollywood film. She took on controversial roles in "Dil Chahta Hai" (2001) and "Leela" (2002) where she has relationships with younger men.
Interesting Fact: In "Saagar," she was a 27 year old divorced mother of two and proved that women are capable of making a comeback after going through adversity.
2. Parveen Babi: Born on April 4, 1949 in Junagadh, India, Parveen lit up the screen with her amazing figure and westernized looks. She was discovered on Ahmedabad University's campus by director B. R. Ishara who wanted her as a leading lady for "Charitraheen" (1973). Her most memorable performances were with Amithabh in "Dewaar" (1975), "Amar Akbar Anthony" (1977), "Suhaag" (1979), "Shaan" (1980) "Kaalia" (1981), and "Namak Halaal" (1982).
Why She's Sexy: Parveen was sexy because she was the second most lusted after Bollywood actress of all time. Before Aishwarya Rai was featured in Time Magazine, Parveen Babi graced the cover in 1976, as the changing face of Bollywood actresses.
Her Impact on Bollywood: In January 2005, she passed away from natural causes leaving a huge void in Bollywood. She's inspired many actresses with her captivating beauty and daring nature.
Interesting Fact: Current sex symbols Bipasha Basu and Mallika Sherawat are often compared to her.
1. Zeenat Aman: Born on November 19, 1950 in Germany, Zeenat Aman is the archetypal cosmopolitan Bollywood sex symbol. Her luscious body and blistering screen presence made her Bollywood's object of erotic fantasies. She spent some time in California on an academic scholarship, then later returned to India as a journalist to work for Femina India magazine. Her co-workers encouraged her to enter the Femina India Beauty pageant, which she not only won but also succeeded in winning the Miss Asia Pacific title in 1970, making her the first ever South Asian winner. After winning both titles, Zeenat Aman's breakthrough film, "Hare Rama, Hare Krishna" (1972) with Dev Anand catapulted her to super stardom. Her role as a pot smoking, cynical hippie who slept with her boyfriend shocked audiences in the 70's. Zeenat Aman was proof the sexual revolution hit 1970's India. Bollywood has never been the same since.
Why She's Sexy: Zeenat Aman IS SEXY. Looking at her, you'll know why she's number one on this list. She exudes sensuality with her toned figure and shoulder length hair, breaking the mold of traditional Indian beauty. Since she spent time in the US, she has this westernized sophistication no other A list Bollywood actress has. Not only does she have modern looks, she also wasn't afraid to show off her amazing body in short skirts and see through sarees. In "Satyam Shivam Sundaram" (1978), Zeenat shocked audiences by going braless in a see-through, waterfall drenched white saree. In "Don", she wears body hugging dresses and stylish pant suits and sports sexy short hair. She also made waves appearing in a super sexy Bikini in "Qurbaani" (1981), which was never seen before in mainstream Bollywood films.
Her Impact on Bollywood: Even though she exuded mass sex appeal, to simply dismiss her as all looks and no substance is drastically wrong. She chose roles that differed from the traditional martyr type, by playing a woman who leaves her jobless boyfriend for a millionaire in "Roti Kapda Aur Makaan" (1974) with Manoj Kapoor, a career minded woman who considers abortion in "Ajnabee" (1974) with Shashi Kapoor, a vengeance seeking woman that can give Uma Thurman an run for her money in "Don" (1978) with Amithabh Bachchan and also in "Satyam Shivam Sundaram" (1978) with Shashi Kapoor as the partially disfigured Rupa. She also did a number of commercial films, like "Lawaaris" (1981) with Amitabh Bachchan and "Qurbaani" (1980) as a sexy lounge singer, which made her dominate the marquee for 14 years.
Interesting Fact: In September 2004, Zeenat Aman entered London's theater community by playing the role of Mrs. Robinson in "The Graduate." Considering the fact that she still looks amazing in her 50's, this role is truly fitting.
|Want to contribute your own Bollywood Features? E-mail us to find out more.